Saturday, May 08, 2010

Miscellany

A bunch of things are about to be described in no particular order and in no relation to one another, other than being related to me.

First, we got pictures of the “mommy baby tummy”. I did when I was pregnant with T and R and they’ve gotten more silly (and probably more precious) with each successive child. I think this one was the best though.

belly

It was probably the last pose (if you can call it that) and I was ready to go when Steve suggested this. It mimics the last one with just  T where he is sitting on my tummy and we’re snuggling heads, but now my big boy is my backpack and my little boy gets the spot on the belly.

In a way this photo feels like motherhood to me: the boys get bigger and new ones arrive, and they’re always going to be stuck to you either by choice or necessity, big or small, heavy or light, happy or sad.

My arm and my hair look okay in this picture too, and at 38 weeks, its the little victories that count!

 

 

 

---------------------------

On to knitting. My last Ravelry swap before the baby, and probably for a while, went out with a bang. I struggled with some colorwork mittens for my partner and was ultimately sad to see them go, but what goes around comes around with these things. My swap package arrived today and I couldn’t be happier with the thoughtful package that my partner sent me. The theme was “Sock it to me” and any knitting or yarn had to be fingering weight or in the general vicinity.

knitting 331I love it when stuff is wrapped. I always wrap stuff, partially because I find great pleasure in wrapping presents and mostly because I know people like opening presents. Here is most of it, all wrapped up, spilling out of its box.

The packages on top were specifically put there for the small children in my life, so they can take their goodies and scram. They never actually scram because the entire contents of any box belongs to them, but there’s always the hope that I can savor carefulknitting 334ly unwrapping “my” stuff. “Their” stuff:  some crazy cat-eye sunglasses, a wind up frog bath toy, and a pair of Cars themed socks for each of them. Hello? How much does my 4 yo LOVE that movie. These goodies hit my kids right on!  

And for me, a perfectly crafted, thoughtful package as if I had picked it myself. My partner obviously studied my wish list, questionnaire and probably the rest of my Ravel-life, and sent me some great finds. “My” stuff: 

  • Box of Mighty Leaf tea in chamomile citrus
  • Hank of Madelinetosh Lace in Celadon (swoon)knitting 336
  • Fall 2009 Interweave Knits that is out of print (gasp) and I’ve been dying to get a hard copy of
  • Magnet that says “Yo”, my 2yo’s favorite salutation at the moment
  • Bar of bittersweet chocolate (drool)
  • Lusciously soft, fantastically blue, perfectly fitting pair of handknit socks (weak in the knees) in DIC Smooshy (faint)

 

Thank you Beth for a fantastic package. I loved it and I totally appreciate the thought (and knitting!) that went into it. Oh yeah, my feet thank you too!

knitting 337

I took this by my lilac tree on purpose, because I saw that you are from Texas and I know a few Texans who have a fondness for them, but miss them as they don’t really grow down there. If you are one of these such Texans, enjoy.

------------------------------

I made cookies today. A day without cookies is like a day without sunshine. From Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food (May 2010): Raspberry-Lemon Whoopie Pies.knitting 330

I didn’t “pie” them, per se, but they did turn out to be slightly lemony, puffy and cakey, and fit perfectly with the whipped cream-smashed raspberry frosting. Definitely a keeper. As with all Martha recipes the baking time was off, but I managed.

3 comments:

skeller said...

Not sure if Beth enjoyed the lilac photo, but I sure did! (and the socks, too, of course) :) Thank you so much!

skeller

Anonymous said...

I’ve given you the “Sunshine Award” come on over to my blog and get it.

Nicole said...

I must admit, saw the raspberry lemon whoopie pies on your blog and went out the next morning, bought the mag, ingredients {absolutely KILLED me to pay $4 for 4 ounces of raspberries when you should see the patch we have growing of our own, of course not ripe yet!} and LOVED them....Thank you for sharing! So yummy!