My two ways are from different days, not too terrible close together, but they are two of the brightest ways I have found to celebrate my favorite vegetable this summer. Yes, rhubarb is a vegetable (botanically anyhow).
The first is a strawberry rhubarb tart from Mark Peel’s New Classic Family Dinners.
I borrowed the book from the library so I don’t actually remember what it was called, but you make a pate sucree, cover it with a rhubarb compote (boiled with a vanilla bean, yum!), arrange some thoughtfully-sliced strawberries on top and sprinkle some “crisp” material over everything. Uh yeah, this was good. A must-check-out from the library for sure.
I’m including the recipe for two reasons: one, obviously to share with anyone that might find this recipe and have extra rhubarb on hand, and two, in case I lose my copy. I’ve altered the original a bit in case Granny Smith comes after me.
Granny Smith’s Rhubarb Bars
4c sliced rhubarb
1.5c sugar
1/4c water (I would omit if using frozen rhubarb)
1tsp vanilla
Boil the first three together and simmer until the rhubarb breaks down and starts to thicken, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla
1.5c oats
1.5c flour (can substitute whole wheat flour)
1c brown sugar
1/2tsp salt
1c butter, cold, cut into chunks
Combine everything but the flour in a food processer and process until combined. Add the butter and pulse until the butter gets to about pea size.
Butter a 9x11 pan. Press 3/4 of the oat mixture into the pan, cold hands work well for this. Cover with the rhubarb. Sprinkle the remaining oats of the top. Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes or until top begins to brown. Cool completely before cutting (if you can wait that long). Best at room temp, but it will last longer if stored in the refrigerator.
Enjoy. Happy rhubarb to you!

1 comment:
That knitting friend sure sounds like a really cool person & very wise about the ways of rhubarb! You should hang out with her more often.
Post a Comment